What does a Customs Broker do?
A Customs Broker acts as an agent for companies that import into Canada and acts as their liason with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). Customs Brokers provide all necessary paperwork to the CRA for clearance into Canada, classify the goods to determine the most favourable duty rates and consults with importers on various international trade issues. No matter how often you import or export goods, your Customs Broker is an essential business partner. Their expertise can save you a considerable amount of time and money, as well as prevent unnecessary headaches.

How do I pay applicable duties and taxes?
Once you have an account with your Customs Broker, the broker will pay whatever is owed for duties and taxes to the Canada Revenue Agency on your behalf. You will then be forwarded an invoice and generally have a period of 15 days to remit.

Can you explain what an HS number is?
HS is short form for Harmonized System. Every product that crosses a border is given a 10 digit harmonized code based on standards set by the World Trade Organization. This allows for global classification of any product.

How do you charge for your services?
A Customs Broker charges a "brokerage fee" for each shipment. This is generally based on the value of the shipment in Canadian dollars, but can vary depending on the type of goods.

I need to better understand importing and exporting certain products. Are there restrictions?
Certain products are restricted by quotas and legislation. These restrictions are determined on a product by product basis. Your Customs Broker can advise you on any potential issues regarding any restrictions that may exist.

Does my Customs Broker need to physically be at the border I’m crossing?
Link+ has agents across Canada to expedite the Customs Clearance process. You will still deal with us directly and receive all the billing from one source.

Does it makes sense to use Link+ for transporting my freight?
Yes! Link+ can arrange international air and ocean freight into Canada or overseas as well as North American truckload or LTL into Canada or the U.S. One phone call to Link+ and we can provide complete transportation services in addition to Customs Clearance—and you'll only receive one invoice.

What paperwork is required to import goods to Canada?
Paperwork requirements are different in each country, but for goods entering Canada a commercial invoice will typically suffice. It must be completed properly, showing the total amount of the goods, the currency, the country of origin, the shipper, the consignee and a detailed description of the goods. Also, a North American Free Trade Certificate (NAFTA) is required to take advantage of preferential duty rates, if applicable. Please visit our downloads section for a copy of these forms. Certain goods such as meat products, seafood and lumber require specified documentation. Please contact us for more information.

When it comes to exporting, can Link+ help?
Yes! In addition to Customs Clearance and transportation services, Link+ has a great deal of experience in the exporting of goods to anywhere in the world.

What documents do I need to export to the U.S.?
In most cases a commercial invoice and a bill of lading is all that is required for exporting to the U.S. However, as Trade Barriers and security measures are ever increasing, we suggest you contact Link+ for up-to-date advice.

Non-resident Importers